Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Morbi eu nulla vehicula, sagittis tortor id, fermentum nunc. Donec gravida mi a condimentum rutrum. Praesent aliquet pellentesque nisi.

Place

As part of the original 1880’s subdivision of Martinborough, the Princess Street vineyard is formed by the early settler’s concept of a small farmlet. Originally divided into four 1-acre sections and two 4-acre lots, the property merged into one with the planting of the original vines 100-years later by Jack McCreanor, in 1986.  Over the years, the vineyard has been influenced and shaped by some of the giants of the Wairarapa wine fraternity, to form the On Giants’ Shoulders vineyard that we know today.

Vineyard

On Giants Shoulders vineyard

With vines established in 1988, the four hectare vineyard is densely planted in Pinot noir, Chardonnay and Pinot gris. The vineyard is situated on rich Martinborough soils with clay loam running over alluvial gravels set down by the Huangarua and Raumahanga rivers.  A combination of these soils and sound cultural practices have rewarded us with floral, aromatic and elegant examples of each wine style.

 

The Pinot noir vineyard blocks reflect their era, with low density 1980’s plantings of Clone AM10/5, and high-density plantings of clones Abel, UCD5 and 828 established in 2000 and 2011 respectively.  Each clone is integral to our wine style, adding floral high notes, dense dark fruit, structure, acidity and plushness.

 

Chardonnay and Pinot gris make up just over half a hectare each, adding diversity to the vineyard, with vines planted in 1988 through to 1999.  Each wine is defined by the depth of weight and flavour we achieve from our soils.

 

We work hard to maintain soil health and structure by increasing organic matter and biodiversity through inter-row planting of cover crops.